Thursday, December 15, 2005

The da Vinci Dare


Here, you will notice one of Leonardo da Vinci's masterpieces.

For those who may not know, I am a true admirer of art, in it's finest forms. And Da Vinci was exceptional. I have gained a renewed interest in his work, specifically, after listening to the unabridged audio cd of "The Da Vinci Code."
It's an incredibly well written, suspense novel with great imagery, delivering unexpected twists and turns throughout. Much like poker.

Speaking of which, I vowed to take Tuesday off from the game, and so I did. Wednesday evening, I eased back into it, playing only two online events. Both were multi-table tourneys.

The first, I played great, got good cards, and began to think I could reel this huka in. 67 fools, um.. I mean people, entered for $24 a pop. They gave the top 3 finalists entrance into a tournament slated for this coming Saturday afternoon. That one, ponied up the top winners a $10k buy-in, to any one of four, choice, globally located poker events. With the likes of Paris, the Carribean, LA (lame), or Las Vegas. They will also throw in 2 grand, in free spending money to boot.

So, I'm playing great, and it comes to the last four of us. On the bubble as it's called. Meaning, one person gets bounced, and the rest can then rest assured, INSIDE the comfortable, prize-gaining-imaginary-bubble (I myself picture something from the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). Two dudes have 30k in chips, and this other dude and I, have about 15k in chips. Basically, two dominant stacks who can bully thier chips, and two of us, who have to dice it up, with our skimpy stacks.

We go back and forth for a while, shuffling small numbers of chips back and forth, when low and behold, I catch American Airlines (a pocket pair of aces).
I raise a decent amount, but not so much as to force everyone to fold. I get one caller.
Flop delivers a king, a ten, and a duece. I bet big, and I get a caller.
The turn gives a nine, and there are now a few of the same suit on the board, making the flush a possibility. So, I commit the rest of my stack, hoping to push out the potential flush draw. Home boy held a Q-J, and the nine game him a straight. Needless to say, he calls, I lose.
Bounced, off the bubble again.

The twists and turns make my head hurt sometimes. I guess I'll take the lousy $100 consolation prize for fourth, but dang, I was so close to a major, major event.

So, I then caught an episode of the new tv show, E-Ring, (pretty bad, I predict it bombs) and whence I could stand no more, I plunked myself down for one more online poker tourture... er, I mean, poker tournament.

Event #2 was another $24 entry, but this time playing for a seat in FullTilt.com's Saturday $30k tournament. Thirty something entered, and they dished out four seats. Long story short, I broke INSIDE the bubble this time, and this weekend I will be playing for a piece of some real pie.

Speaking of pie, for only $6 (about the cost of one Marie Callender blueberry pie [I'll admit I'm actually guessing the true price here, as I have only once set foot in such aforementioned fine dining establishment]) you can visit the Wynn art collection in Las Vegas, as I did, when I was there a few weeks back.
At an estimated cost of $400 million (ya, thats 400 x 1 million) I figured the six dollar admission price tag was far and away, a much better deal than any of the famed Las Vegas buffet lines.

Inside, it was small, no Da Vinci, but there was Picasso, Warhol (who sucks by the way), and Matisse, among others most do not recognize, who were featured.
I myself, did not know half of the other artists inside.

So, to wrap up, I dare to say, Saturday should be my day to make up for all the lousy poker that has been going on lately.

If it is not, there is always a high score on Centipede to break, and there are ALWAYS frozen burritoes somewhere on the horizon.

15 comments:

Dustin Dwyer said...

So I just got around to reading your stale comments over in my blogger land space. I stopped reading comments back when I realized people could put spam in them, but I think I'll get back on the wagon.

Anyways, it's nice to hear you are out appreciating the art. Your King Kong facial hair is a little more upsetting. But hell, if I was on the road, I wouldn't want to shave either. Also, I think the person who commented under the name "Anonymous" was probably you. If not, it's funnier for me to believe it was you, so I'ma gonna keep doing just that.

And, sir, while I may not agree with your use of the letter "e" in "burrito," I'll defend to the death your right to use it.

Me said...

Stale comments...? whatever cheddar.

As far as me, posting my own comments under the guise of anonymous, it would be funnier!
Actually, I don't even know anyone named "Serg", and don't think I have ever known anyone by "Sergio."

However, I do sincerely appreciate your defending to the death, my uncanny habitual use of an extra "e" here and there. But, I must say, no need to die for the cause. Save your martyr-stic instincts for something more worthy, like keeping the price of a Tortino's pizza, under a buck.

Dustin Dwyer said...

Well, my friend, I have no power over the price of Totinos, though I am willing to offer up my life yet again for your use of "r" in Mr. Totino's name.

But that is neither here nor there. What I want to point out instead is that everyone should have more video on their blog. www.freevlog.org will show you how. It's super-duper easy once you sign up at ourmedia.org and the internet archive. I think you'll find it all well worth the effort. That goes for you too, Will-ster.

jungle jim said...

one must have the capabilities to make videos and since i have yet to enter into the 20th century and purchase a digital camera i don't think there is any chance of video's on my blog in the near future.
you are aware that you can put a word verification thing-a-ma-bob on the comments section to stop spammers right?

jungle jim said...

k, just read the comments.one must wonder who would put your hot anon?it's like someone grabbing your butt in the club then running off,and where the hell is my fan base?i don't ever get annon comments!!

Dustin Dwyer said...

yeah, I've started doing the word verification thing. I thought I had that action the whole time, but I guess not. Now I'm also getting the comments sent to my email. I think there ought to be a way to have comments on your blogs sent to me as well. I'll try to look into that.

And, about video, whatever happened to your camcorder? I've seen lots of liam videos? Can't you get those onto a DVD for like a nickel? From there, you could put them online no sweat... though to take advantage of free stuff like ourmedia, you gotta keep the videos under 5 minutes long.

jungle jim said...

the cams been out of a job due to lack of interest and or film(mostly film)kinda funky trying to film things and take pictures of things at the same time.as for switching everything to dvd, i have no idea how to do it aside from spending thousands on hardware and running all thru the comp

Dustin Dwyer said...

I bet you can get it done at CVS or something.

Dustin Dwyer said...

Nonsense! You should just be happy you have now shattered the record for most comments on a post. 11!

jungle jim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jungle jim said...

face it man, your blog has become the official chatroom

Dustin Dwyer said...

And, honestly, you have the most interesting comment action out of all of us. You've had an anonymous compliment and now a deleted comment. Billy and I don't get any of that junk. Also, you take forever to update, so we have nothing to do but comment.

jungle jim said...

actually the deleted anon was me, i wrote something similar to whats posted, then realized it sucked once i posted it, deleted and re-wrote it.think we can get this puppy up to 20?

Anonymous said...

Thought ya'll had nationwide minutes on your cell for such chatter...make it 16

Me said...

I never did follow up on the Sat. 30k tourney entry I won.

First hand of whole tournament, I got 4-4. Flop is 4-j-j. Full boat for me. Whoo hoo.

I check. Some bloke bets big. I call. Turn is a five or something. I check. Mr. Blokie Bloke goes all in. I call. He had 9-9, and then another nine hits on the river, for his, larger full boat. Total awesomeness huh?