Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Poker Flats

Longing for some real, live action poker, and tireing of computerized charactors, I sauntered on down to Poker Flats, in downtown Merced.

Now, downtown Merced does not have what I would call panache, but it does have a new movie theater, and a poker room. So, things are kinda looking up for the place. However the poker room only has three tables. Can't have everything I guess.

They have a $10 buy-in every weekday at 11:30. You get 50 in chips, and the blinds start out at 1 and 2. The blinds also double every 7 minutes (maybe every 5 min. something like that) which makes it essential to get good cards early.

A few weeks ago, I went down there two days in a row. With such a quick round of blinds, and after not catching any cards, I ended up playing only four hands for both days. Neither of which got me anywhere at all.

But today, I caught a few hands early, including A-A with someone all-in ahead of me. That was nice. I made it to the final table with 250 in chips.

I then call an all-in for another 50, with A-7. But only because it was cheap to potentially knock someone out, and for a chance to see all five board cards. An ace hit, and it was a win.

Later, another situation like that appeared, but for 100 in chips. One dude, heads up, all-in on his part. A perfect chance to see a gauranteed five board cards, with minimal investement. My J-8 had a decent chance to his Q-9. I paired my eight on the flop, but he ended up outdrawing me for a straight.

This left me with 200 in chips, and the blinds were now 50-100. It was down to five of us, and I peeked at A-J on the button. I pulled the ripcord: all-in. I got one caller. He had K-Q, and again, I paired on the flop, with the jack. But the turn delivered a King, and I was knocked out for fifth spot.

I still earned $20, doubling my money. And, I guess if you call thier free greasy chinese food edible, I got lunch out of the deal too.

Again, and I've said it before, so many reads can be had in live game vs. internet. Some people just project thier weak cards so transparently. Today, I was not able to capitolize on this, but others could have.

Soon, I wil be departing for Oregon, by way of San Jose (to see my cousin Sage) and Lafeyette (to see Jeffrey LaPLante about some software) and Discovery Bay (to see Jimboni also about some software). I'm hoping to hit Bay 101's WPT qualifyer Wednesday morning, or thier daily tourney Thursday morning.

Then, it's onto the Oregon Trail. Where there is no tournament poker, but only a bathroom worthy of A high stakes remodel.

1 comment:

Randy Ray said...

Hey man! Nice work on this blog. I got your comment over at mine. Enjoyed your story today, and I'm definitely going to be adding both your blogs to my blogroll.

Keep up the good work. And remember, "You are a lucky player. A powerful winning force surrounds you."