Monday, January 16, 2006

The Royal

Yes, I got a royal flush.

But there is a story.
Isn't there always?!

First, I play a 3 table satellite. A measly $5. I played an hour, and did not win a single hand. But it's five bucks, and if the cards are gonna be cold, at least it's only for $5.

Then, I enter another. Same thing, 3 tables, for $5.

Another hour goes by. I'm getting sucked for every blind, and not hitting a single hand. Of any kind. Then, I get Q-Q. I bet big. Everyone folds. OK, great. Things will change.

I then keep a K-9. This is the flop:




I check. The turn comes, I check. On the river, I put in a "token" $75. Not a single caller.

Friggin great. I win only two hands in two hours, including a flopped full boat, and not a single extra chip was pulled in with any of it. Amazing.

What then seemed like half an hour later, I'm getting whittled down again on endless garbage hands, when I realize I'm down to 400 in chips. Everyone else is moving into the 2000+ range. It's time for one thing, and one thing only. Time to go chuck it all in there, and hope for the best. I'm holding Q of clubs and 3 of diamonds.

Then, with a little help from the dealer, I catch it:

Yup, only the second royal flush I have ever seen. And both have been mine.

With that win, I was able to propel myself to the final table with a comfortable chip lead.

Soon, a few people drop out, it's down to seven, but they only pay five of us.

Later, in my big blind I hold a 5-10 suited in hearts. One dude, raises to double the blind after every one else folded. It's relatively cheap for me to call, and I figure "why not, what if I flop a flush?"

Sure enough, all hearts show up on the board. I bet the minimum amount. Dude raises 2k. I go all-in. He has A-A. But one of them is a heart. The river gave him the last heart he needed, and the last heart I wanted to see. (I would have been an overwhelming chip leader, if I had won that one)

What a game. Another one of those situations where I can only blame the dealer. But, online, I can't even do that!!

No comments: