Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Home on the Range


I find myself in Miles City, Montana.

I left Fergus Falls, MN at 7:30am this morning, after leaving Minneapolis Monday afternon. I have passed through the Badlands of North Dakota, and over the Missouri River, once again. Clues of the Rocky Mountain Range are now within site, after hundreds of miles of rolling midwestern hills. These, composed of the usual mix of farms, (silos included), woods thick with brush, and the usual sprinkling of business parks or homes. Now in Montana though, it's much more Wyoming-like. At least what I've seen of it so far.

The speed limit is 75, so 80 is reasonably nice. Thank goodness for the radar detector. Twice today it alerted me, well before eye shot.

Thw White Sox have secured a world series berth, and are heavy favorites. Houston or St. Louis will provide a decent challange. My prediction, Sox: 4 games to 2, no matter who wins the NL.

Won 100 bucks tonight in an online, single table tourny (also known as a "Sit 'n Go"). Even after two near breakdowns. The first was at the one hour break. The last hand happened, while I was watching tv, and not paying attention. Then, I look, and have no idea how much longer the break will be. Most times, it is shown, in a very obvious mini-window. But I don't see it, and, none-the-less, I hafta go. So, I sprint to take a quick leak. When I come back, I see, just in time, my pocket kings folded due to my time running out! Then, two guys go all in against each other, both with A-6. Only a king hits, and nothing for the other guys. I vow to recover.

Later, suddenly, the lights go out, the tv goes out, and my internet connection is down. Luckily, only a few seconds passed before the power kicked back again. It still took a few minutes for the wireless connection to appear. I was almost mad. It was heads up, and each hand was critical. I lost maybe ten hands in the lapse. In the end however, I still won.
Actually, this is twice now, the internet connection has gone out, while on a final table. Last time I still won 100, as well.

Feels good after busting out one last time at the Canterbury Club. Thats a great one. I flop two pair, guy ahead of me bets 25% of his chips, I re-raise to half is stack. He goes all in. Could he have trips? The flop was 2-4-A. I had A-2. He also bet pre-flop substantial amount. No one does that with a low pocket pair. If he had trip aces, he would have checked the flop. So I call. He had A-J. I was ahead 85%-15%. He caught running diamonds for a flush.

I may have time to stop in a poker room, in central Montana. I need to mapquest my current location/destination(s).

No comments: