Thursday, October 20, 2005

Westward Windfall


I do not have any pictures of where I am at now, but I do have more from the hood of my truck.

One thing I have noticed, is the farming effeciency, and scale. As I travel west, there are more advanced irrigation, and storage machinery techniques. Obviously due to westward espansion during technological windfall. The land is still just as dry in many areas. Much looks like meadow-prairie land, on the brink of desertifaction. Volcanic activity within the last 6 million years has left many boudlers, and other acute clues of former flow, to the point where it almost looks Hawaiian. Just a bit older.

Scrub brush dominates, along with oak and willow at the rivers edge. Along highway 94, I have crossed the Snake River at least five times. Before that, it was the Yellowstone River, and the Missouri. The Snake however, is much more shallow to its flood zone. I guess it doesn't flood that much. If it did, many towns would be affected. I'm not sure if I personally could live here. The mountains are very bare, trees a mile from the river are a rare premium.

The weather has been a very moderate 60-70+, depending on if you caught some sunshine. Along the rivers, exposed rock can stay warm, much more than the open air. Today gave not so much of this though, it was 95% cloudy today. And 50% windy. Mostly gloomy. And thats another reason why I have no picture of today. Today's were categorically non-impressive.

I'm currently in Far Western Idaho. I took many stops, trying to catch each rest area, tourist trap, or Historic Site. Some I passed up, after tiring of the stop and go of it all. Plus the weather was windy/almost cold in many places. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I had some pants. It's been four pair of shorts for two months now. I've lost some t-shirts, I've gained some t-shirts. Its come and go sometimes, when on the road. And, I tell ya, being a road warrior ain't all its made out to be. It's a tough haul. Takes a certain man to conquer miles of asphalt in a single day. A Mega Man almost, really. A He-Man like, Superman possibly, mostly composed of great power and intelligence. One who, can for endless hours, endure monotonous eons of not-always-so-scenic highway, while driving, and maintaining sanity. But thats not relevant. What is relevant, is that the White Sox are in a World Series. Ya..?! I don't know about anyone else, but I'm feeling it.

One side note to the White Sox victory, is that it requires a road trip to Tahoe now. It seems, way back in early spring of this year, I wagered a small 10 or 20 dollar bet on a 20-1 shot. I think it was 20 bucks. I have another 26-1 on the world series. I just have to get back to check the ticket. I don't remember if its from Vegas or Tahoe. In either case, I'll make the journey before I leave for anywhere else.

Tomorrow I leave for Pendleton, Oregon. I will try to grab a few pics along the way. I'll need to wake up earlier than I did today, though.

No comments: