Friday, October 14, 2005

Scooby and Pong in St. Croix


I'll admit it, I'm thinking of Hawaii, lately.

Who's played a little ping pong lately? Let me tell ya, get in a game as soon as you can. Its more fun than it sounds, believe me. Its just like, at least for me, fooseball. Who loves fooseball? Air hockey... anyone?

Who is gonna start an XGames-like scenario for the table college sports? I see a demographic yearning for this.

Scooby Doo, where are you. We have a case for you now... great song... wait, uh... wait a second, just how helpful has Scooby usually been? Really, I mean compared to say, Fred? Or Velma? The two are bookworm geniuses. Scooby and Shaggy just eat monster sandwiches.

In other news, played two poker tournies in St. Croix, WI., and two in Minneapolis. St. Croix is a nice place. Small town, not much to see or do. Got some laundry done. That was a highlight. No way to connect to the internet, for many moon.

All four tourny events, were non-spetacular.
Three half way pointers, and one quick bust out on an A-K.

One of the "poker strategies" I mull over in internal debate about, from time to time, is the opponent-expression-read one. Sometimes, I know for a 99% fact what someone is really thinking, in relation to thier cards. Not often, but it does happen. Just as when you can tell a 9 year old is lieing. Or a grown up for that matter. When I was in Vegas, I had a few days, where I completely, and entirely, gave up on poker decision making, based on player reads. Instead, pure cards, as I called it. I even had a lengthy debate, with this guy from New York. Up state. Deep in the MGM, playing 10-20 there and in conversation, I decided, yes, I would never again make big decisions based on how another player, presents him/herself. It is an extreme swing, but does teach a much more disciplined version of the game. No bluff, no chaser.
You just have to hit cards.
Since then, I have slowly regressed. Just a bit. Usually to take advantage of small blind or big blind situations. This time though, I knew it, and I even had something. I was ahead. Then, ExZACTLY why I gave it up way back then, I saw what can happen. I had A-K. Preflop bet was 1000. After puttin it in, I decided I was pot committed, and going all in, if I hit either of my cards, unless:
a) all three cards are suited, not to mine.
b) I flop a full house.

The actual flop was K-10-9.
I put it all in there.
He quickly calls.
He has K-J. I'm ahead. He has 7 outs. Any J, or any Q (for the straight). I have the rest of the deck. Turn was a blank. With one card left, he had about a 4% chance (approx.?) and it hit. He gets a stupid jack, for his two pair.

Other cash games in Minneapolis have netted me enough to cover this weeks expenditures, including buy-ins.

For now, I gotta watch the ChiSox attempt to win an American League title.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice updates brutha. Keep it up. Oh man, I gotta tell you abou tme and my gambling the other night. Good fun.
Later Bro
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

The Sox are on their way, thanks in part to some odd calls last night. Nice shot of the beach...google?

Me said...

Ya, its a googler.
But I'm getting a camera soon!!

Anonymous said...

Macha signs 3-year deal with Oakland. Are you on your way West?